Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 11: Free Thinking

"For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image." 1 Corinthians 3:17-18 NLT

I love the fact that through Jesus, I have been set free. Free of everything. Freedom from sin, freedom from condemnation, freedom from the world. I still have to remind myself to stay pure in my thoughts and in my intentions so that I can remain free from the bondage of sin. I don't see movies or televisions shows the way I used to. I find myself turning from shows that have sex scenes in it and refrain from some movies all together. I was rather proud of myself for not seeing Takers because I am pretty sure it was filled with sex, drugs, and sin. Why be accepting of the very sins that Jesus died to save me from? That has been one of those eye opening revelations I have had lately. When you think of things in the world with that prospective, it makes it harder to do and view things that you once did.

I try not to make my walk with Christ a list of rules and restrictions. I sometimes get disappointed when I know I am not living up to God's expectations of me but I have to remember that I am going to fall short of God's glory...many, many times again. He doesn't expect me to be perfect which is why He supplies me with ample grace and mercy each new day. He just wants me to have pure thoughts and intentions. A clean heart and a clean mind. Free from things that can keep me bound and far from Him.

Yeah, it does suck to have to forfeit some of my favorite shows, movies, or music but the less and less I expose myself to those things, the cleaner my spirit becomes. After a while, it doesn't even bother me anymore because I know that my restraint is pleasing to my Savior. My intention is to please Him and not my flesh so the sacrifice is very much well worth it.

I know there are still areas of my life that need to be completely free from. I am still working on allowing God to be my fulfillment and not long for an Earthly companion (who doesn't!). However, I do know that me settling for anything less than God's best is not an option which I know is pleasing to Him as well. This is my period of reconstruction and molding. My "in the course of time" period with just me and Jesus. I also know I need to set myself free from thinking that I need to be in control of what happens in my life and the life of others. God has totally revealed that I cannot be any one's Savior and it's not my job to save the world. It hurts to see friends and family struggling with sin, shame and guilt but at the end of the day, my salvation is not theirs. My devotion to God is not their devotion. My testimony is not their answer. Each person has their own gift of salvation and has to answer to God for the sin and shame in their lives. My story can be a reflection of God's grace and power, but the people I encounter have to make their own decision to follow Him and to live out His commandment and turn against sin.

I look back on my life then and now and know that the shackles of sin have been removed. I am free to live under God's covering and have been giving power and authority to keep myself free and to help free others. For that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment