Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Lesson Learned

Tonight, I learned a valuable lesson. I learned that I may not be as great a friend as I think I am. One slight totally joking comment turned the course of a conversation with my best friend, opening the flood gates and releasing a lot of pent up frustration and anger. I had offended her and didn't even realize it until it was too late, but I am totally glad she checked me.

Proverbs 12:1 says "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid." Tonight, I had to be corrected. I had to be corrected for the way I had been treating my dear friend and approaching her about areas of her life. I believe at some point, I strayed away from being supportive to being more realistic and harsh and critical. Though I feel I had my reasons for being that way with her, rarely is there a good reason to hurt someone. I can't even say I was totally oblivious to some of the things I have said. There have been times when something came out of my mouth that I wish I could take back. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Despite it all, I saw how my words hurt and my new found busy life and lack of time for her has made her feel. She deserves my attention and support just like the other people I surround myself with. Even though I always see her as one of my strongest friends who can always weather the storms of life, she is human and emotional just like I am. Though she can be tough as nails, she wears her heart on her sleeve. She needs to be inspired and motivated just like everyone else. She needs to be encouraged and praised. She needs a friend that will give her the honest truth but also a dose of kind heartedness too. Truth be told, I enjoy the fact that I don't have to hold her hand through every crisis like I do some people, but I also lost sight of the fact that sometimes she does need her hand held.

Our friendship has lasted longer than any other friendship I've ever had. Distance has separated us physically but never severed our bond. I have often been envious of her freedom, her light heartedness, her boldness, her drive. However, my heart breaks when she is sad, disappointed, gotten her heartbroken, anything that causes her to frown. I always wish I can shield her from the evils of this world and introduce her to the new life that I have found. A new life where she knows her worth is already established in the eyes of Christ and commands the respect and love that she deserves. A new life where sadness and pain are cast off on her Savior and blessings flow abundantly. A new life full of promise, purpose, hope, love, joy, freedom, blessings, everything she deserves and more.

I will stand corrected tonight and continue to pray for her heart to be made whole again and for her to have that life changing Christ encounter where she shakes off the old and embraces her new life. Everyone has their turning point in life and my journey is not hers. But I can still be a good friend that is supportive, encouraging and a living letter for Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment