Monday, June 20, 2011

How Do You Defeat Your Goliath?

Last night, I went with my friends Nesta and Ladi to the 212 high school service. I haven't been in quite a while and I love to see young kids seriously go hard after God. After going to a couple of Ignite Youth conference services with Gavin, I have seen the super natural things that can occur when you get a room full of fearless teens together who love God with total abandonment.

Pastor Rolondo talked about the story of David and Goliath. Simple enough. He changed it up a bit and had the teens to think about the giants in their own lives. Pressures from school, friends, family, depression, sexual immorality, body images, lack of faith, whatever. He challenged everyone to think about their own personal giants and how God tells them to defeat their giants. David defeated Goliath with a rock and a slingshot, but he also had an unshakeable faith in God. His faith, dedication and passion for God is what truly defeated Goliath.

I took a few minutes and thought about some of my own personal giants that I struggle with and jotted them down on a note card. As the worship team played, I waited for some kind of divine revelation from Heaven to tell me how to conquer these battles. The sky didn't crack open, the heavens didn't part, and the earth didn't shake.

But He did speak.

To overcome my giants, the answer was simple.

"Abide in Me. Trust in Me. Trust in My word."

Period.

I kept asking myself "Is that it? Surely there is more to this! I have some serious stuff that sometimes hinders me. God are you sure there isn't more?"

"Abide in Me. Trust in Me. Trust in My word."

The answers to many of our toughest questions are usually pretty simple. God isn't complicated, no matter how complicated we try to make Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment