Friday, July 23, 2010

God on Mute

Pete Greig wrote a book title "God on Mute: Engaging the Silence of Unanswered Prayers." I haven't read it yet, but I have heard the term God on mute used many times before. Essentially, its when you pray to God for something and you get silence. No signs and wonder, no confirmation, nothing. Why does that happen? Why does God seem to get distant when we need him the most?

God does get silent. Alot. But God is also constantly moving. Sometimes the very things we ask for in prayer are not things or situations God wants for us. Hence the silence. Sometimes that silence is God's way of saying "no" or my favorite "just wait." Sometimes that unanswered prayer is God wanting to see if you really trust in Him enough to hold on until the last possible minute before He gives you what you need.

Sometimes the silence can be frustrating. Like in my case. Right now, I seriously feel like I am at a cross roads with a certain situation, to the point where it's almost stressing me out to think about. I am waiting on God to give me a sign, a thumbs up, a prophetic word, a dream, an embrace, some comfort, some clarity. At this point, I just want Him to shout His directions from the mountain top instead of leaving me to sift through the cryptic clues. I don't want to take matters into my own hands, but I seriously have no clue with which way to turn.

Despite His silence, I know He is still moving. I know He is working in my favor to restore what has been broken. Maybe it's my impatience that's getting the best of me. He is still moving, but maybe not fast enough for me. I'm still leaving it all in His hands, not allowing any distractions during this crazy time, keeping my eyes on Him and the Kingdom. He is still moving and I am still trusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment