Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 2: Who Determines Your Worth

Matthew 10:29-31: "What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows."

Who determines my worth? The answer should be easy. My Father in Heaven determines my worth. He sees me as His righteous and glorious daughter whom He desires and loves. Anyone with that type of admiration should always feel secure and worthy. But, my honest answer...part of me still struggles with the world determining my worth. To the world, I am a single mother. I am a statistic. I am average. I could stand to loose weight. I could stand to dress better. I should probably wear makeup more often to hide my flaws. I should probably go back to straightening my hair because the short, natural look isn't all that appealing. That is a far cry from the way God sees me. But whose measuring stick do I focus on more?

My small group has been embarking on this 28 Days of Beauty devotional and today's devotional awesomely coincides with this devotional. Isaiah 62:5 says "as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you." God calls me His beloved bride, a woman He made beautiful. Sure, I can try to think about what that signifies with my head but, sometimes it does not always pierce my heart. There are days when I look in the mirror and do not like what I see. I sometimes compare myself to other people. I think that I will never have a husband if I don't loose weight, dress prettier and make myself be who they want me to be. This is me being honest. The devotional hit the nail on the head: "This hidden shame is rooted in fear that we don't measure up, despite God's affirmation."

2nd Timothy 1:7 says: "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." Fear is not of God. It is my job to reject any lies that the enemy or the world tells me that do not line up with what my Father says about me. He delights in me and calls me beautiful, stains and all, so I should not allow myself to think any differently. He cares enough to know all the hairs on my head, so why not allow His love to constantly be poured into my heart? The world will always compare me to everyone else in the world but, I don't have too. I already know my worth in my Father's eyes, the only person whose opinion I should be worried about. Each time I look in the mirror, I should see God's beautiful masterpiece, His beloved bride, His treasure, the daughter of the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment