Monday, January 17, 2011

What Are You Waiting For?

I have been pondering this question for several days after running across a Christian blog. "What are you waiting for?" Simple enough yet so complex. The answer to that question as well as "What is a wife?" started weighing even more heavily in my mind that I felt like I needed to share it with some of my single friends. With this being a season of preparation, it would almost be selfish to not share these revelations with others that may be preparing themselves as well.

What am I waiting for? As single Christian women, we are told that we are to wait on our husbands. Not in the "sit around and wait for him to fall out of the sky" theory, but more of a "be patient and let God prepare you and your husband for the time He would have you meet." The whole waiting game is totally up for debate depending on who you ask. For me, as faithful as God has been to me when I finally decided to yield to His direction, I would say He is pretty faithful in the marriage arena too.

So what am I waiting for? A husband. Yeah we got that, but what kind of husband? Any woman can get married to a man and have a husband and then her wish is fulfilled. But I don't think God wants me to just have a husband. I believe He wants to grant me the desires of my heart according to His will which means I need to know what it is I am waiting for. I need to know what kind of husband I am waiting for so I don't settle for just anyone for the sake of having a husband. Too many people have made that mistake.

I've never been one to make the ceremonial list of qualifications for my future husband to possess. I've scoffed at women that did, usually because those lists were filled with such superficial nonsense, it was worth laughing at. But, they did have it right. They had a list of what they were looking for and things that they would not compromise on. It makes sense to know what it is you are looking for so if by chance I meet someone (or progress more with someone I have already met), I will have my criteria ready to hold up to see if he is someone even worth entertaining.

The same would go for me as a wife as well. If I am putting so much emphasis on the type of husband I am looking for, I am sure he is putting emphasis on the type of wife he is looking for. So I am sure this is why God wants me to figure out what a wife is. Do I know my role as a wife? Do I know how God sees a wife? Have I become someone worthy finding? Proverbs 31 is the ideal wife. She is hard to measure up to, but not impossible.

Looks like I have some work to do. Another interesting assignment that I am finally getting around to accomplishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment