Monday, February 21, 2011

Lesson In Pride

It's a humbling experience to have God show you areas of your life that need some help. It's exciting to have people come to me for advice and a little spiritual guidance. Yet, it's prideful to think that the very advice I am giving out doesn't apply to me when I know it does.

Isaiah 57:15 has been my theme verse for the past week or so. I have referred a few people to it lately and even bogged about it. However, it wasn't until I was going through the homework for my Beth Moore "Breaking Free" study did I realize that I needed that verse more than anyone. I was dealing with pride. I thought I had my stuff together, dishing out all this advise when I was battling with God with some of my own very similar junk. He is gracious enough to humble us privately and mercifully enough to chin check us when need be.

Pride takes on so many different faces and being a ministry leader, I have to be more diligent about seeking God and not let my thrill of counseling others overshadow my obligation to seek God for wisdom and my own heart examination first. Better start checking that plank in my own eye before I start pointing out the speck in someone else's.

No comments:

Post a Comment