Thursday, May 19, 2011

16 going on 30

As I approach the ripe old age of 30, my view on life is starting the change. I keep feeling like a change of pace is needed. A new direction, a new endeavour, a new challenge is in the work. Maybe a new season is approaching. I'm feeling like I need to be surrounded by a new breed of people, places and experiences. I certainly can't keep doing life the way I do now and expect to grow. Not knocking where I am but life is about growing, maturing, and preparing for whatever the next phase of our lives.

As I look back on my almost 30 years, I think about how my view on life and way of thinking have drastically changed since I was at my peak...16 year old. I wasn't one of those kids that thought I had life figured out at 16 but I thought I knew more than most people.

Yeah, I was wrong.

I figured I would make a list of things that I wish I had known at 16 that I now know a few weeks shy of 30.

1. High school is only a stepping stone for the real world. It really won't be the only happy time in life.

2. You will out grow and lose friends you have been with since high school and before. You will also make new amazing friends later.

3. Sex before marriage is wrong. Period.

4. Relationships or the lack thereof should not define your self worth.

5. Dream big and don't let circumstances dictate how far you can succeed.

6. Be intentional about cultivating a good relationship with your mother and grandmother even when you think they are the meanest people in the world.

7. It's okay to be sad but don't try to hold it all in. The problems of today don't all go away tomorrow.

8. Cherish your great grandmother. She really wont live forever like you think.

9. Keep that passion that I had for church into adulthood and develop an actual relationship with God. You will need it.

10. People close to you will disappoint and hurt you but always find the good people.

11. There will come a time where being single isn't the end of the world. Learn to enjoy your own space and freedom now and it wont be hard later.

12. Develop a good understanding of money, budgeting, and saving now. Money really doesn't grow on trees.

13. Be courageous and don't be afraid to speak up for what you believe in even if it isn't popular among your peers.

14. You will never reach a point in life where you have everything all figured out.

15. Focus on things that matter in the world. If you benefit the most, it's probably not worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment