Saturday, July 9, 2011

Talent v. Skill

I am sitting in a coffee shop attempting to do some research on how to get into the writing game. I detoured a bit to my blog roll and came across the latest posting from the author of Until I Get Married. I have followed him for about a year now and enjoy his writing style and creativity. The topics can be a bit off color but, to each his own. I start reading the post and was a bit saddened by the end. This is someone whose writing I enjoy but he is starting to doubt whether this whole writing thing is even worth the effort. This one passage really made me think:

"I know I have the talent to write, but to be a writer takes skills, a lot of which have absolutely nothing to do with putting words and sentences together, a lot of which I sometimes wonder if I possess. Make no mistake about it, I am not writing this because I’m questioning whether or not I’m good at writing. I know I have the talent, but do I have the skills? One is what you’re born with, the other is what you learn."

Now for me, this is really challenging to read because I am currently still riding the high of God starting to nudge me in the direction of writing. I kinda feel like the rug is being pulled from up under me and I am falling back to reality. I feel like the author of the blog right now. I know I possess a talent for writing (even if I am my own worst critic) but I also know I do not possess the skill of writing that it takes to parlay this into a career that can sustain a family.

Now is not the time for doubt to be setting in.

Luckily God has a futuristic view of my life and knows when obstacles will come. He sets up safety nets along the way to catch me and dispel my unbelief and fear. That came in the form of my Fusion leadership training classes this morning. One class was focused on God's purpose for our lives and putting that calling to action. (Same thing I discussed on Thursday at my small group). During the class, we were given a few scriptures to reference. My God anticipated safety nets were:

If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You'll get his help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believing, without a second thought. People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves. Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open. James 1:5-8 (MSG)

God is love. When we take up permanent residence in a life of love, we live in God and God lives in us. This way, love has the run of the house, becomes at home and mature in us, so that we're free of worry on Judgment Day—our standing in the world is identical with Christ's. There is no room in love for fear. Well-formed love banishes fear. Since fear is crippling, a fearful life—fear of death, fear of judgment—is one not yet fully formed in love. 1 John 4:17-18 MSG


I must be on the right track with God because there are already obstacles trying to jump in the way to cast doubt and fear. I think the difference between me and the author of that blog is that I know my strength, my courage, my talent, my provision, my opportunity, etc all come from my Creator. I do not lean on my own understanding. I trust and submit to God and know that He will make all my paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6) I may not think I have the skill to make this writing thing a career but my Creator who operates in the supernatural thinks so.

No comments:

Post a Comment