Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Awkward Black Girl



A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled across one of the funniest YouTube videos I had seen in quite a while. I don't spend much time on YouTube but a lot of up and coming film makers post their videos on there in hopes of being discovered. Issa Rae created The Misadventures of An Awkward Black Girl and it has become an instant hit. I am noticing more and more of my FB friends joining her fan page. The episodes are pretty short but they are hilarious and I am pretty sure anyone can relate to them.

I love to see creativity like of this video and I hope the show gets picked up for TV. Something on cable and not network TV because they wouldn't do it justice. I am thrilled to hear that Issa was able to raise the additional funds to keep the show going. Right now, there are only 8 episodes and its definitely at a cliff hanger so to keep it going, she needed about $30,000. Thanks to her loyal fan base and crazy world of mouth, they have so far raised over $40,000 to keep the shows coming. People crave good work but I can't quite figure out how some of the stupid reality TV still seems to stay on the air.

Oh well. Check out the videos on YouTube because the site is under construction. Check back frequently, join the FB fan page, Twitter, etc and become awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment