Tuesday, August 2, 2011

God's Not Fair...Thank Goodness

I'm still chugging along with the book The Christian Atheist by Craig Groeschel. I downloaded the ebook to my laptop and spent about an hour highlighting and making notes for myself because there is so much truth to the words in the book. If I had the actual hard copy, there would be an abundance of highlights, pen scribbles, dog eared pages, and Post It Notes.

I was reading through the section on knowing God but thinking that He is not fair when a light bulb came on. I know I have had plenty of episodes where I questioned God because I didn't think He was being fair in my life. Why do the people that don't believe in God or adhere to His commands seem to prosper more than those who follow Him whole-heartedly? Why was my prayer for a new job not answered? Why did I pray for a Ebony's new born baby only to have him die a few days later? In my mind, none of it makes sense.

In my reading, I unearthed Psalm 103:10-12 that says, " God does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His love for those who fear Him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us." God is not fair and that's actually a good thing. If He were a fair God, everyone on Earth should be wiped out. We are sinners by nature and we all know that the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23). Think about it.

Life often times will not be fair. That's just how it is. Yet, at the end of the day, we serve a God who is loving and just. He provided the ultimate sacrifice so that we can be redeemed and saved from our sins. He did the ultimate act of love by sending us Jesus, our Savior. No matter how many times we think He isn't fair because life doesn't always go the way we think it should, we need to always remembers that He loves us, He cares for us, He desire for us to live an abundant life, He yearns for us. He will always make things work together for the good of those that believe in Him. Hard times will happen and many we won't even begin to understand. Lean not into your own understanding and trust God. He is just because He forgives us, He is not fair because He loves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment