Thursday, March 10, 2011

Birds of a Feather

We have heard the saying "Birds of a feather flock together." People with similar personalities, likes and interest seem to gravitate towards each other. With that said, having similar characteristics can be a good thing or a bad thing. If you happen to be someone who is always positive thinking, looking at the brighter side of life, you will tend to attract people with the same positive, sunny outlook. Yet, if you carry around a negative and broken spirit, chances are you will attract those kind of people.

When it comes to relationships, I learned a long time ago that people tend to date the same person over and over again. Same person, different face. I took a hard look at some of my past relationships and realized that I was in a never ending cycle of dating the same type of person because I wasn't changing. I was still carrying around whatever type of spirit I had at the time, from one relationship to the next, wondering why my dating situation didn't change. I always attracted passive and slightly insecure men. Not that they were insecure and wore it on their sleeve, but just enough of a broken spirit that I could recognize because I was just like them. Sprinkle in my innate desire to save everyone, I often entered relationships with obvious red flags thinking I was going to be their saving grace. I was going to be the one to win them over by helping them become a better person. Only problem was the fact that two broken people don't really do a good job in making each other better.

Fast forward to the present day and I am definitely not that same girl I was back then. Long gone are the days where I needed someone to validate and define me. I am a new creation. A new creation in Christ. I have finally stepped into the identity that God Himself defined for me. I am His Beloved, worthy to be cherished, loved by the Creator of the universe. I have been healed from past hurts, delivered from insecurity, fear and shame. I am now that person that carries around that light of hope and promise. And what's even better is the fact that I still attract people like me. The new me. I attract people with the same zeal and thirst for God and His righteouness. I attract people that refuse to confirm to the ways of the world. I am among a generation of believers that live a life set apart from the rest. It hit me the other day when I was thinking about a crush I had a while ago and realized he was nothing like any of my past boyfriends. He carried a spirit of confidence and purpose that I hadn't seen in a guy before. He saw the good in everything and refused to let life get the best of him.

Birds of a feather.

At some point, we all have to take that hard look at our lives and realize that we are the common denominator in all of our relationships and friendships. Sometimes, it's not them, it is you. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. When you stay the same, your outcome will stay the same. But when you embrace the new life that can only be obtained through Jesus Christ, you get off that beaten path and get put on the road less traveled. The road that is filled with blessings, unending grace and mercy, and a soul shaking love and joy that cannot be matched by anything in the world. You will find others just like you. Those that decided to leave the old behind and become a new creation.

You are not alone. Birds of a feather really do flock together.

No comments:

Post a Comment