Tuesday, March 8, 2011

For The Love of Money...

I've been taking this finance class at church that give us Biblical understanding of how God sees money and the resources He entrusts us with. It has been an eye opening process to say the least. There are over 2,300 references in the Bible that speaks on money, possessions, debt and giving. God obviously has a lot to say about how me handle money and kinda knew that man would struggle in this area in the long run.

Last night in class, one of the verses we went over was Luke 16:10 which says “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much." For some reason, that one verse out of all the verses we discussed stuck out to me the most. If I can be trusted with a little, then I surely can be trusted with a lot. But in reality, I haven't been that responsible when it comes to money so that's probably why God is kinda hesitant about pouring out His intended blessings on me, and rightly so.

Since last night, I have been thinking about my desired career which is counseling. I intend to using my counseling expertise to help in the after care of sex trafficking victims because that is an area that is seriously lacking. Georgia has about 60 beds available in the whole state to handle the critical after care process and we are #1 when it comes to space. That's not saying too much considering there are any where from 300-400 young girls on the streets every night. I am taking a break from school because I was getting burned out and I have so many other things on my plate with ministry work, I seriously don't have time to finish up the few classes I have left. I am stalling because I know that counselors in Atlanta don't make very much because the market is flooded with psych majors from all the universities in the area. For a while, I was a bit discouraged about investing so much money into my education for undergrad and grad school, knowing it doesn't pay off salary wise in the long run. In GA, a masters level counselor/psychologist only makes about $35K.

I realize my hesitation for finishing my grad program, the excuses, stalling, doubts about why I even persued this field was all rooted in money. Definitely a revelation for me. The Bible says in Matthew 6:24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." I cannot be so bound to money that I follow it, instead of God.

My attitude about money is definitely changing. I am feeling the desire to actually put God first in that area and honor Him and continue on the path that pleases Him. The amount of money I make should not be my determining factor because even if I make a little, if I am faithful in handling the little I have, God will bless me with more to handle. He has a supernatural way of providing for His faithful children. He can truly make a way out of what we think is no way. I love when the pieces fall into place like this and God removes the veil from my eyes. He does have a plan for me and I am standing in the way of something great. I need to surrender my fears, thoughts, doubts, finances, career goals and desires over to Him so that He can do His thing and work everything together for my good and His glory. There is so much that I have been put here to do but I haven't been obedient in doing those things. A new day is here and a new attitude has been awakened and I am ready to see God's supernatural work happen before my eyes. I am determined to only serve Him and not money. I am determined to faithful and honest in the little that He has entrusted me with so that He can trust me with more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment